21.9.09

MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT LAURIE

If you're here to find out something about me, then you must be new to my blog, and I welcome you!  I began blogging in October 2008.  I kept reading how easy it was to start a blog, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it (or maybe, not do it).  I never thought I'd continue to blog for more than a month, much less for years!  I've had so much fun and been so inspired by virtually meeting other bloggers and readers that I just kept blogging and never looked back. 

I live in a small town in Arkansas. I have been married to my sweetheart since 1969!  Don't leave a comment telling me you weren't even born then!  I don't feel old, so I have trouble accepting my age.  We have a daughter and a son, both of whom have spouses that we love. We have five grandchildren, ranging in age from 5 months to 12 years.  Right now, we have one dog (we normally have several dogs, but our grand dogs make up for our current shortage of dogs, since we often dog sit for them). Elsie is an English Setter and is one of the best dogs I've ever had (yeah, I do say that about every dog I have).





I grew up in the town where I currently live. My husband and I married while we were both in college. When he graduated, he went into the military, and we were stationed in Augusta, Georgia and at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, before he was sent to Viet Nam.

My parents have both died, and when my mother died, we bought my sister's half of the house that our parents built in 1949; we remodeled it; and that is where we live now.

I am a collector. My mother was a collector. My grandmother was a collector. When I cleaned out my mother's home, it was full of her collections as well as my grandmother's collections. When we moved into the house, I had been married for 34 years and had already collected a lot of "stuff". A lot of people would probably call our home cluttered (heck, I call it cluttered), but I've tried to get rid of, or put away some things, and I'm just not comfortable without all of the clutter.

Unfortunately, I work five days a week, so work often gets in the way of my blogging and my blog visiting.

I had no idea how much fun a blog was going to be. I have "met" so many wonderful people through my blog. My blog has forced me to exercise my brain a little more than I might have otherwise, and because I have a blog, I look at things differently. With my camera by my side, I am much more observant than I was BB (Before Blog). I am also much bigger on the back side (from sitting in front of my lap top so much), and my house is not nearly as neat or clean as it was BB. But I do feel like I am a much richer person, because of the friends I have made all over the world; the things I have learned from bloggers all over the world; the inspiration I have received from bloggers all over the world; my renewed interest in the world around me; and the insight into myself , all of which I have gained through blogging! (I must have had a very dull life BB!)

If you've read this far, bless your heart, you must have a dull life too -- get yourself a blog! I began blogging for fun; I continue blogging for fun! Thank you so much for being interested enough to read  about me! laurie
email: bargainhunr@gmail.com

10 comments:

Coty Farquhar said...

Gorgeous Laurie,

I could read more and more about you and your life. Thank you for blogging and sharing your life with us.

xxxxxx Coty

April D said...

hi laurie,

have been reading and reading your posts the last couple of days. i somehow don't think you will be on your "blog break" long. i find when i schedule myself one, that's when i come up with fifteen different posts to do ASAP! lol.
my husband came home last week from talking with an author friend of ours about your sweet little bookstore in Blytheville, so i had to hunt down your post and show him.
also, did you graduate from b'ville high? my dad did, class of 65. he also has two sisters and a brother who graduated from there... "the good old days" of course. :)
i enjoy your pics and your posts--and as a fellow clutterbug, I CAN RELATE.my hubby is NOT one, and he craves open spaces. it's a delicate balance!
blessings to you--
april

Sonny G said...

Talk about late to the party lol..

I had no idea such a beautiful story would be waiting for me here..

You are such a genuine person and I can feel that in every word you write..

Thank you for sharing with us and for being our Pal..

many blessings and big hugs
Sonny

Jaybird said...

Today was my first time to read about YOU...I have visited the blog many times, but did not see the link to read your story. I come to your blog because we have similar collections...mostly family "stuph"...I love seeing your beautiful decorations and sometimes I even slip your ideas into my house :^). Your home is huge relief among all of the whiteness/burlap/chippy/emptylooking stuff in blogland, and YOU are such a warm and welcoming person, that I come back for more...more....more.
Blessings to you,

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Laurie,
What a pleasure it has been getting to know you through your profile. Your life is a genuine testimony of your love for God and for others. My heart was warmed when I read how you pray for others. What a joy and privilege it is praying for dear friends. I do believe that God has led us all together for such a time as this.
Blessings and friendship,
Carolynn

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Hi Laurie,
I found out that we have something in common. We live in the house that my husband grew up in! I really enjoyed reading more about you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie,
I absolutely LOVE your home with all the different collections. A home should have "stuff" because that is what makes it different from a "show room" not a place to enjoy our family, friends and our treasures be they ever so humble. Thanks for sharing about your family and those beautiful grandchildren. Blessings to you and your family!
Ann Marie from Philly.

Junky Jen said...

Hi Laurie!
I met your husband at the Tyronza Stars and Stripes Auction and he was bragging about your blog!! So I had to check it out!! I buy and sell this and that! I own the old post office in our town. If your ever in search of anything special for you table decor please give me a shout! smalltowntreasures@yahoo.com

Connie Lenden said...

It must be difficult to blog while working 5 days a week. I have always enjoyed your writing ~ and your "collection"!

Keep up the good work!
`
Connie
`

Unknown said...

Read your "about me" ~ You sounnd like you have a busy, but happy life.

It is so nice to meet and feel like they are neighbors!

Connie